Friday, April 5, 2013

What I read from week#4 materials.

   - Managing cross-cultural communication challenges toward a more perfect union in an age of diversity - 

I read this article last week however it was a little difficult to understand. I did not get it properly at first so I read it again today. After reading I understand like blow:
(I am not sure I understand properly though)
 
#1 culture is a complex concept and we can acquire a new culture by moving to a new region, by a change in our economic status, or by becoming being disabled.(^^;) When we think of culture this broadly, we realize we all belong to many cultures at once.
▶At the first week of this course we learned that. We have some subcultures and they give us certain perspective of our view. we can meet cultural differences not only from different countries but also from different groups of same country, gender, age, work and so on.
 
#2 six fundamental patterns of cultural differences
 
① Different communication styles
The way people communicate varies widely between, and even within, cultures. One aspects of communication style is language usage. Another aspects of communication style can be non-verbal communication such as facial expressions, gestures, seating arrangements, personal distance, sense of time, different norms.
▶Be careful when you laugh, point out something or somebody, touch things or people. We learned the exactly same gesture can be a compliment or an insult. (I read Jamin's post about laughing in a intercultural class. Most of korean feel the same way what he felt I think)
 
② Different attitudes toward conflict
Some culture view conflict as a positive thing, while in many Eastern countries it experienced as embarrassing or demeaning.
⑤ Different attitudes toward disclosure
Different cultures feel different about disclosure. Questions that may seem natural to me, may seem intrusive to others. -What was the conflict about? What was your role in the conflict? What was the sequence of events?
▶I have a positive idea about conflict so I am willing to solve conflicts. In my early days I met some conflicts at my school so I did my best to solve them however I had unintended results. What I did not notice was people consider conflict differently so disclosure the conflict or certain emotion may seem intrusive to them that is why they try to avoid. one tries to face conflict another tries to avoid it. What will happen? It might be fighting or not friendly mood.
 
③ Different approaches to completing tasks
From culture to culture, there are different ways that people move toward completing tasks. some reasons different access to resources, different judgement of the rewards associated with task completion, different notions of time, and varied ideas about how relationship-building and task-oriented work should go together. people from different culture have different work style.
 
④ Different decision-making style
In the U.S., decisions are frequently delegated so when decisions are made by groups of people, majority rules is a common approach. In many Southern European and Latin American countries, there is a strong value placed on holding decision-making responsibilities oneself. In Japan consensus is the preferred mode.
▶What kind of decision-making style do your people prefer? What is your style? Why?
I think majority rules can be a good way to collect lots of opinion even though it goes wrong sometimes. I have to accept the result humbly even though I am not satisfied or I stand the opposite side.
 
⑥ Different approaches to knowing
European cultures tend to consider information acquired through cognitive means, such as counting and measuring. African cultures' preference for affective ways of knowing including symbolic imagery and rhythm. Asian cultures' tend to emphasis the validity of knowledge gained through striving toward transcendence.
 
▶Actually I do not get the meaning of Asian's, our ancestor studied Confucianism, Taoism, Mencius etc to find better ways of life. I guess Asian cultures pursue this kind of approach.
 
# Culture bump theory
 
 
I have to go to Busan to take an language class...

No comments:

Post a Comment